History of Philosophy Timeline
by Dr. Jonathan Dolhenty
The following timeline was created and designed by Dr. Jonathan Dolhenty to help students get a comprehensive picture of the history of philosophy and, in the case of ancient and medieval philosophy, its relationship to other major events occurring during the same time period.
Jonathan Dolhenty: Divisions of Philosophy
How philosophy is to be divided into sub-disciplines has seemed to fascinate philosophers throughout its history. Four different approaches to the divisioning of philosophy are given as diagrams below:
- The Aristotelian Division
- The Thomistic Division
- The Wolffian Division
- A Modern Revision by Dr. Jonathan Dolhenty
In general, the following non-technical definitions will apply:
- Ontology: The philosophic science of the nature of being "in general"
- Epistemology: The philosophic science dealing with the problem of knowledge
- Psychology: Really "rational" or "philosophical" psychology, dealing with man as a "being"
- Theodicy: The philosophic science of God, First Cause, Creator - sometimes "natural theology"
- Logic: The philosophic science of correct thinking
- Ethics (or Moral Philosophy): The philosophic science dealing with human acts - sometimes "moral philosophy"
- Politics: The philosophic science of man's social end, including the form of state organization
- Axiology: The philosophic science which studies the general nature of "value"
- Aesthetics: The philosophic science which studies art, beauty, artistic value
Copyright 1998-99, 2000-01, 2002-03, & 2004-05 by The Radical Academy. All Rights Reserved.